The 8 Most Common Food Intolerances



hay fever and asthma are :: Article Creator

Blight Of Hay Fever And Asthma

by JENNY HOPE, Daily Mail

The debilitating effects of hay fever and seasonal asthma could blight the school prospects of increasing numbers of children.

Babies as young as eight months are being treated for symptoms and one-fifth of young victims suffer significant hearing loss, according to a new survey.

Leading child allergy expert Dr Gideon Lack says health problems triggered by hay fever can have far-reaching effects but too few sufferers receive proper treatment.

'The allergy can cause sleep impairment, chronic fatigue and difficulty in learning and performing in exams during the summer months,' he says.

A survey of 69 children aged two to 16 years with hay fever carried out at the Children's Allergy Department at St Mary's Hospital, London, found they had other related health problems. Three-quarters had conjunctivitis, 40 pc seasonal asthma, 37 pc seasonal eczema and 20 pc hearing loss caused by fluid in the ears.

A new two-year trial of de-sensitising injections has begun at St Mary's in which children who have hay fever and seasonal asthma will receive shots of grass pollen vaccine.

{"status":"error","code":"499","payload":"Asset id not found: readcomments comments with assetId=4121, assetTypeId=1"}

How To Survive Hay Fever This Summer

Derek BrockwayBBC Wales weather presenter

Who better to explain hayfever than Derek Brockway
  • BBC Wales weather presenter Derek Brockway looks at how the pollen count affects people with hayfever
  • Pets as well as humans can get hayfever, so a vet suggests cleaning their paws when they come inside
  • Climate change is likely to make pollen season more intense
  • It's hay fever season - the time of year when many of us will have itchy, red eyes, runny noses and sneezing fits.

    It is caused by an allergic reaction to pollen - the fine powder released by plants, trees and grass.

    I've had hay fever since I was a little boy and, especially in the spring and summer, I have to check if the pollen count is high before I leave the house.

    I often mention the pollen count during my weather forecasts on radio and TV.

    For people like me, it's valuable information.

    If the pollen count is high, I can be prepared by using a nasal spray or sometimes taking a hay fever tablet.

    I can then go outside without worrying about how pollen will affect my health.

    But how can we predict if the pollen count will be high?

    Beverley Adams-Groom uses a special device to measure the pollen count

    Dr Beverley Adams-Groom leads the team that works with the Met Office to provide the UK's pollen forecast.

    It's measured by a device called a Seven Day Volumetric Pollen Sampler, on the roof of the University of Worcester.

    There are a number of these at sites across the UK, including one in Cardiff.

    "Basically we have a pollen trap, that's 10m (32ft) above sea level on average, depending on the site, and inside that trap is a sticky surface, based on a clockwork mechanism.

    That clockwork turns the piece of tape around into the airstream and over a 24 hour period we can collect the pollen.

    Then we pop that piece of tape under the microscope on a slide and we count every two hours and from that we get the daily pollen count in cubic metres per air.

    "High pollen count is over 50 and a very high pollen count is over 150."

    "Pollen data is one element of the pollen forecast. We have a look at the pollen trends of the data that has come into us.

    "Then we can say if it's on the rise or decreasing or plateauing.

    "We combine that with the weather forecast for a few days ahead and we have a look to see whether that trend is likely to continue."

    Climate change is impacting the pollen season

    Tree pollen usually arrives before grass, typically from late March to mid-May.

    Then grass normally lasts from mid-May until July. Weed pollen is another type that generally arrives at the end of June and stays until September.

    Climate change can impact the pollen season - making it more intense.

    Dr Adams-Groom says this is affecting tree pollen in Wales.

    "For the birch pollen, it's getting more severe over time. Statistically significant increases over time and that is connected with climate change.

    "We can see that the temperatures in June of the previous summer, when the pollen is produced in plants, are increasing and that is allowing the trees to produce more pollen.

    "But for grass pollen we're not seeing any increases."

    Top tips for hay fever sufferers

    I wanted to find out how other people like me cope with their allergies during hay fever season.

    I've come to Cyfarthfa Park in Merthyr Tydfil, where the flowers are blooming, to meet Jo Cole.

    Jo has asthma and pollen can cause her serious health problems.

    "When the pollen count is high, the usual symptoms of hay fever, the watery itchy eyes, the runny nose, the cough.

    "For me with asthma it's more the effect on my breathing.

    "So I get a wheeze, which then if not kept under control, will lead to shortness of breath as I'm moving and walking and that then would restrict the airways and could potentially lead to an attack."

    Thankfully the pollen count is low when we meet up, so Jo and I can enjoy being outdoors. But if it was high she would not have been able to come.

    "Obviously we're surrounded by tree pollen and the grass has recently been cut so I wouldn't usually choose to be in this area.

    "For me, being somewhere like a beach or a concrete area is better for me when the pollen is high."

    "It's frightening, you know, you want to be able to get on with daily life without being worried about what's around you.

    "It's a bit of the unknown really. So I do check what the count's looking like. I need to make sure I'm going to be safe on my day out."

    And, like me, Jo has to be prepared.

    "I think it's about making sure you've got all of your airways covered.

    "So it's not just your nose, it's your throat, it's your chest, it's your airways.

    "I think we all think it's easier to pop a tablet sometimes, but I think things like nasal sprays, eye drops, make sure all your affected areas are covered.

    "And especially for people with asthma, always have your pumps with you."

    Derek and vet Richard Williams with Shadz the dog

    And it's not just humans who suffer with hay fever, but our four-legged friends as well.

    I asked Dr Richard Williams, a vet at Vale Veterinary Centre, says he does see pets with allergies, that are sensitive to pollen - I asked him what the symptoms are.

    "Similar symptoms to ourselves: runny eyes, rubbing of the face.

    "One thing people don't pick up at first with dogs is chewing of the feet as well.

    "The contact with long grasses will irritate the feet and you'll see them nibbling away.

    "It can be a subtle sign that something needs to be sorted."

    So what are the remedies?

    "A bowl with some warm water in, just to wash off those allergens. I wouldn't advise splashing the face like we would do.

    "And of course speak to your vet. There may be medications we can use but invariably avoidance is key."

    And Richard says it's not just dogs that get hay fever.

    "Cats can be affected as well. Even with indoor cats as you start to open up your windows in the spring, you see cats overgrooming, rubbing their eyes.

    "A wet flannel may be used to wipe them down, especially if they're an outdoor cat and they've come in from playing in long grass."

    Erika Radford said it is important to keep an eye on the pollen forecast

    So, knowing in advance when the pollen count will be high is important if you or your family has allergies.

    Erika Radford, head of health advice at Asthma and Lung UK, says as well as taking hay fever medicine there are a number of top tips that can help you avoid the effects of pollen.

    "Keep an eye on the pollen forecast every day, so you can be prepared for example if you think the pollen count's going to be high in your area that day."

    She suggests "having a shower when you get in from outside" and avoid drying laundry outside if the pollen count is high.

    "Keep doors and windows closed to stop it coming into your house," she says.

    Good suggestions for people with hay fever like me - especially in our changing climate.

    With warmer, wetter winters and hotter, drier summers predicted, we are likely to see more intense pollen seasons in the future.

    Related

    Rescues full as owners struggle to afford pets

    Large grass fire put out in Swansea

    Does flying island doctor have world's best job?

    More

    4 hrs ago

    Son's Christmas dread after drink-driver killed dad

    Mike Fealey had to turn off his father's life support on Boxing Day 2022 and now dreads Christmas.

    2 days ago

    YesCymru best performing group - axed chief

    Gwern Gwynfil was axed on Monday, but defended the organisation under his stewardship.

    3 days ago

    Christmas tree targeted by thieves lights up again

    A village Christmas tree is glowing again with new lights after the originals were stolen.

    3 days ago

    Robber doused Lidl worker with stolen fuel - court

    David Steven Murray faces charges including five counts of robbery, theft and actual bodily harm.

    3 days ago South East Wales

    4 days ago

    Stolen Christmas lights leaves village heartbroken

    The theft has "taken the cheer from the village" after a difficult year, residents say.

    Copyright 2023 BBC. All rights reserved.  The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.

    Beta Terms By using the Beta Site, you agree that such use is at your own risk and you know that the Beta Site may include known or unknown bugs or errors, that we have no obligation to make this Beta Site available with or without charge for any period of time, nor to make it available at all, and that nothing in these Beta Terms or your use of the Beta Site creates any employment relationship between you and us. The Beta Site is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis and we make no warranty to you of any kind, express or implied.

    In case of conflict between these Beta Terms and the BBC Terms of Use these Beta Terms shall prevail.


    Is This The Cure For Hay Fever?

    by MARK CHADBOURN, Daily Mail

    Hay fever sufferers may soon be able to greet the summer with open arms and clear noses.

    New research makes great claims for a treatment based on the ground-up bark of an African gum tree, which also seems able to relieve the symptoms of asthma.

    The treatment, which comes in capsule form, is a traditional African medicine derived from a gum tree found only in Ghana, West Africa.

    The bark is soaked in clean water and then dried naturally, meaning the finished product contains no chemicals or additives. It is now marketed in the UK under the name Yamoa.

    Hay fever is characterised by an itchy nose, throat and palate, congestion and a runny nose. Other symptoms include lethargy and sinus-type headaches.

    It is caused by an allergic reaction in which the body produces chemicals, including histamine, in response to pollens from plants attaching themselves to membranes in the nose and throat. It affects up to 15 per cent of people in the UK.

    Asthma refers to the shortness of breath caused by the narrowing of the bronchial tree - the main airways in the lungs. It is often triggered by an environmental cause, such as an allergy to air pollution, dust mites or certain vapours.

    The number of asthma cases is rising fast in the UK. In 1973, 4 per cent of the population was diagnosed as asthmatic; in 1996, the figure was 21 per cent. It is now estimated that around 3.4 million people are affected, including 750,000 pupils.

    Early statistics from a study by Dr Nyjon Eccles and nutritional therapist Althea Myrie at Harley Street's Chiron Clinic show that 48 per cent of Yamoa users claim they have been completely cured of hay fever, and a third believe they've seen a marked improvement.

    Nearly one-third of test subjects who suffered from asthma said they'd been completely cured, while 41 per cent reported a marked improvement.

    The effects of taking Yamoa could be seen in as little as two months in most patients.

    Dr Eccles, who has a PhD in medicine from University College Medical School, London, says he came across Yamoa a year ago.

    'Some of my patients had found it on the internet and were taking it, so I decided to run a proper trial,' he says.

    'At the moment, I'm taking formal measurements of lung capacity so that we can quantify the results scientifically, rather than relying on patients' anecdotal evidence, but so far the results are very encouraging.

    'Yamoa seems to alter the immune system so the patient is no longer sensitive to pollen triggers. It also seems that patients need to take it for only a twomonth period, never again.

    'A large proportion of sufferers have been cured and haven't needed to take antihistamines or use their asthma inhalers since.'

    The only side-effect is a slight, tickly cough.

    Karen Barleycorn is a 28-year-old mother-of-one from London. Her hay fever symptoms have

    been cleared by taking Yamoa.

    'My hay fever started when I was seven and helping out on a market stall in East London,' she says.

    'Being out in the open, it used to hit me badly. My eyes would swell up and I'd have an itchy throat. At night, I couldn't sleep. Once, when I went for a day out in the country, I had to come home because I had a very scary asthma attack.

    'I've never been hospitalised, but it is frightening, as anyone who's experienced it will know.'

    She adds: 'My symptoms subsided a little when I took an indoor job with Boots, but I was still using my inhaler four or five times a day all through the summer.

    'I was introduced to Yamoa by a friend three years ago and I started taking it twice a day. Within a few months I could see a massive improvement.

    'I don't use an inhaler any more, and I don't have any symptoms. I know it says on the box that you only need to take Yamoa for a month, but I'm still taking it three years later because I don't want to risk going back to how I was.

    'I've just come back from a break in Cumbria. In the past, I wouldn't have been able to go out without my eyes streaming and having difficulty breathing, but this time I didn't have any symptoms at all.

    'The hay fever really made my life miserable. I couldn't enjoy some of the things my friends took for granted, like a walk in the park.

    'I'm sure they got sick of me sneezing and having swollen red eyes the whole time. Even nights were bad. I'd wake up at least twice a night, having to use my inhaler.

    'Hay fever was a part of my life for so long that I can't believe it's gone. I still find it amazing.'

    For more information about Yamoa, including mail order, visit www.Yamoapowder.Bigstep.Com






    Comments

    Popular Posts

    Olopatadine 0.7% Eye Drops Approved for Sale Over-the-Counter - Monthly Prescribing Reference

    Troubleshooting "E: Unable to locate package" Error on Ubuntu ... - It's FOSS