Food Allergens Lurking in Your Halloween Candy
I'm A Newfoundlander Allergic To Seafood. I Often Feel Like A Fish Out Of Water
Lindsey Harrington questions whether she can truly be a Newfoundlander when so much of the culture and culinary tradition are unavailable to her. (John Fraser/CBC)
This First Person column is written by Lindsey Harrington, a Nova Scotian with roots in Newfoundland. For more information about CBC's First Person stories, please see the FAQ.
The frozen fish is curved like a question mark. It swims through the air toward Dan's face in Trapper John's, a dim, taxidermy-filled bar in St. John's.
"Is you a Newfoundlander?" the Newfie caricature holding the freezer-burnt fish hollers in his over-the-top accent. (While some consider Newfie an insulting term, in this case, the sou'wester fits.)
"'Deed I is!" Dan puckers his lips and gives the cod a big wet one as onlookers whoop and applaud.
I'll have to remember not to kiss Dan until he brushes his teeth and washes his face, I think to myself.
Dan kneels on the floor, which is tacky with dried beer, and gets "knighted" with an oar.
"I declare thee an honorary Newfoundlander. Long may your big jib draw." Another chorus of cheers fills the small space, including mine.
Lindsey Harrington's then-boyfriend and now husband, Dan Harrington, celebrates becoming an honorary Newfoundlander after kissing a cod. (Submitted by Lindsey Harrington)It's my first time visiting Newfoundland with my boyfriend, Dan, since I moved to Nova Scotia and met him. Like so many Newfoundlanders before me, I was forced to leave the island in search of work and a partner. Both the job market and the dating pool aren't so hot on the island.
After the Screech-in, my high school friends bring us to another pub for supper. It's renowned for its fish and chips.
"I'll have the veggie burger and salad. And FYI for the kitchen, I'm allergic to all fish and seafood." I close my plastic-sheathed menu and hand it to the waiter, preparing for what comes next.
This allergy has been a lifelong hindrance. If fish hangs too heavy in the air, I break out in a rash, and my lips swell. My eyes get puffy and bloodshot. But if I ingest it, it's not only cosmetically embarrassing. My throat swells shut while my body forces the food up and out. The danger of choking or asphyxiation is real. My many trips to the ER over the years are evidence of that — Epipens only bought me enough time to get there; they weren't a permanent solution.
"We'll do our best, but we can't guarantee anything…"
"I know," I snap.
How many times have I heard this rote disclaimer, tarnished from overuse? Yet it stings anew each time, like salt cod rubbed on an open wound. You're from Newfoundland and you're allergic to fish? It's almost always the reaction when anyone finds out. I'm an oxymoron, a walking contradiction, a punchline to a joke that I'm not in on. How can I truly be a Newfoundlander when such a large part of the culture and culinary tradition is unavailable to me?
Fishing has always been Newfoundland's raison d'être. Fish was the main sustenance of the island's first inhabitants, the Beothuk and Mi'kmaq. Fish was one of the reasons Britain and France established colonies on the island in the 1600s and why waves of European immigrants moved here. While the role of fish has evolved and changed, like when the cod moratorium was declared in 1992 in large part due to overfishing, it still defines us as a people and is embedded in everyday life.
I was so young when my allergy was discovered that I have no memory of it. According to my mother, she tried giving me some fish when I was a toddler and the reaction was instantaneous. We were lucky the hospital was close by. Growing up, when relatives gathered to boil crab legs and crack them open on the splayed pages of the Southern Gazette, I was told to stay downstairs as a precaution. More than 20 years later, I still remember sitting on the basement's concrete floor, reading Jean Little books by the woodstove as snatches of laughter made their way through the ceiling, along with a faint whiff of the sweet meat. I didn't begrudge them the seafood — I only wished I could join in.
Harrington, seen as a four-year-old in the centre, on a fishing day with her cousin Jolene, left, and sister Colleen, right. (Submitted by Lindsey Harrington)Fish have always been elusive to me, all around but just out of reach. Fish and brewis, baked squid stuffed with dressing and capelin fried whole are all Newfoundland delicacies I will never taste. Touting the superiority of cod over haddock or crab over lobster are never debates I can engage in. Yet I'm drawn to fish.
As a child on the Burin Peninsula, on Newfoundland's south coast, I whiled away countless hours trouting with my best friend and beside my father in his small skiff. I've dug clams, gathered capelin, and caught sculpins off the community wharf. But I can't consume any of it, and that consumes me to this day.
With its 7,500 kilometres of coastline, fish loom large in Nova Scotia too. Lobster rolls and oysters are menu mainstays — but so are hodge-podge and rappie pie. It's not the backbone of their identity in the same way. Eyebrows don't rise quite as high when I explain my allergy. It feels safer. Easier.
As we walk past St. John's jellybean houses to our hotel from the Screech-in, I shiver in the cold.
WATCHThe history behind Newfoundland's Screech-in: St. John's rum, a long-standing tradition. 6 years agoDuration 3:05
Newfoundland and Labrador may have been the last province to join Confederation, but its history is rich.As we walk past St. John's jellybean houses to our hotel from the Screech-in, I shiver in the cold. It's colder here than in Nova Scotia. Some friends teasingly call Halifax "St. John's Light," as if it's a watered-down version of this place I've left behind. Has the mainland made me soft? I burrow deeper into my coat and pick up my pace, pulling Dan along by the hand.
Dan is a bluenoser through and through. Bluenoser has been a nickname for Nova Scotians since the 1700s, allegedly because of the cold noses early settlers would get while working outside, or the prevalence of blue potatoes in their diet — depending on who you ask.
"Did you have fun?" I ask.
"Ya knows!" Dan mimics the dialect and performs a little jig down the street. "The fish was right deadly, sure."
And for me, it is. But paradoxically, "deadly" means "good" here on this rock in the Atlantic. I roll my eyes but smile.
Am I a Newfoundlander? 'Deed I is. And a bluenoser, too. Long may your big jib draw.
Do you have a compelling personal story that can bring understanding or help others? We want to hear from you. Here's more info on how to pitch to us.
Mastering The Red Lobster Experience: A Guide For Seafood Enthusiasts
Everything you need to know in 50 words
This article offers a deep dive into the world of Red Lobster, providing insights for seafood lovers on menu choices, nutritional information, and dining tips. Ideal for enthusiasts seeking a fulfilling dining experience at one of the most renowned seafood restaurants.
Introduction
Red Lobster is not just a restaurant; it's an experience that transcends the mere act of dining. It's about savoring the bounty of the sea and understanding the nuances that make each visit memorable.
Understanding Red Lobster's Philosophy
Founded in 1968, Red Lobster has carved a niche in offering a seafood experience that's both accessible and high-quality. Their commitment to sustainability and sourcing the best seafood sets them apart.
The Importance of Sustainable Seafood
Red Lobster's commitment to sustainability is not just a corporate mantra; it's their ethos. They ensure responsible sourcing, which means every bite you take supports ecological balance.
Navigating the Menu
The menu at Red Lobster is a treasure trove of delights, from their famous Cheddar Bay Biscuits to an array of seafood dishes.
Specialty Dishes to Try
Every visit to Red Lobster is an opportunity to explore. Don't miss their Lobsterfest specials, Crabfest delights, and the daily fresh fish menu.
Nutritional Information
For the health-conscious, understanding the nutritional content of Red Lobster's offerings is key. They provide detailed nutritional information, catering to various dietary needs.
Balancing Indulgence and Health
Enjoying seafood at Red Lobster doesn't mean compromising on health. Opt for grilled items, fresh salads, and be mindful of portion sizes.
The Art of Choosing Seafood
Selecting seafood can be daunting. Ask for the day's specials and get recommendations from the staff. They're knowledgeable and can guide you based on your taste preferences.
Seasonal Selections and Their Benefits
Seasonality affects the taste and quality of seafood. Red Lobster's menu adapts to this, offering the best in each season.
Maximizing the Dining Experience
It's not just about what you eat, but how you eat. Engage with the staff, ask about the origins of your dish, and take your time to savor each flavor.
Creating Memorable Moments
Whether it's a family dinner, a romantic evening, or a solo adventure, make your visit to Red Lobster a memorable one by immersing yourself in the experience.
Dealing with Allergies and Dietary Restrictions
Red Lobster is accommodating of dietary needs. Inform your server of any allergies or restrictions, and they will guide you to the right choices.
Safe Dining for Everyone
The restaurant takes allergies seriously, preparing dishes to avoid cross-contamination and ensuring a safe dining experience for all guests.
Conclusion
Red Lobster is more than a seafood restaurant; it's a journey into the heart of culinary craftsmanship. Every visit is an opportunity to explore, learn, and indulge in the rich flavors of the ocean.
Q&A Section
Q1: What are the must-try dishes at Red Lobster?
A1: Must-try dishes include their signature Cheddar Bay Biscuits, Lobsterfest specials, Crabfest dishes, and the daily fresh fish menu.
Q2: How does Red Lobster ensure the sustainability of its seafood?
A2: Red Lobster prioritizes responsible sourcing, working with suppliers who follow ethical and sustainable seafood practices.
Q3: Are there healthy options available at Red Lobster?
A3: Yes, there are healthy options like grilled fish, fresh salads, and dishes with detailed nutritional information to cater to various dietary needs.
Q4: Can I find options for special diets at Red Lobster?
A4: Absolutely, Red Lobster offers options for various diets, including low-calorie, gluten-free, and vegetarian choices.
Q5: How can I make sure I'm choosing the best seafood at Red Lobster?
A5: Ask for the day's specials and seek recommendations from the staff, who can guide you based on freshness and your taste preferences.
Q6: Does Red Lobster offer seasonal seafood dishes?
A6: Yes, Red Lobster's menu includes seasonal selections, ensuring the best quality and taste based on the time of year.
Q7: What steps does Red Lobster take to accommodate guests with allergies?
A7: Red Lobster staff are trained to handle allergies, offering menu guidance and ensuring dishes are prepared to avoid cross-contamination.
Q8: Is Red Lobster suitable for family dining?
A8: Yes, Red Lobster is a family-friendly restaurant with a variety of dishes that cater to all ages and preferences.
Q9: Can I find Red Lobster's nutritional information online?
A9: Yes, Red Lobster provides detailed nutritional information on their website, helping guests make informed choices.
Q10: What makes Red Lobster a unique dining experience?
A10: Red Lobster offers a unique dining experience with its commitment to high-quality, sustainably sourced seafood, a diverse menu, and a welcoming atmosphere for all kinds of diners.
Theme Park Food And Food Allergies Don't Always Mix. Here's How They Can.
There's a lot more to theme park food than funnel cakes and turkey legs.
Many parks pride themselves on their array of dining options for guests, but not just for flavor.
More than 6% of Americans have a food allergy, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics. The most common food allergens are milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soybeans and sesame, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. With those, allergy-safe options can be a matter of life and death.
"I had my first reaction when I was a baby to nuts, and I've had serious reactions since that have brought me to the ER – thankfully not too many in recent years," said Allie Bahn, who helps travelers with food allergies through her Miss Allergic Reactor website and Allergy Travels Facebook group. Bahn has four of the top nine food allergies and other specific allergens, like potatoes. "It can be certainly life-threatening, so it's different than avoiding foods just because of something bothering your stomach."
Here are seven ways travelers with food allergies can safely navigate theme parks and what parks are doing to help:
1. Do your researchSome parks flag top allergens on their websites and apps.
"It's listed by restaurant, by item, and it talks about each item what would be the allergen that could be present in that item … A lot of folks who have been living with allergies know what they can and can't eat, and they're just looking for a map of 'Where can I get what I need?' " said Cedar Fair corporate chef Charles Walker, who helped roll out new dietary guides for guests earlier this year.
As someone with food allergies himself and family members with food allergies, Walker added, "This was near and dear to my heart to really make sure this guest-facing platform was very user-friendly."
For more personalized help, Cedar Fair's parks and many others have phone lines and email addresses listed on their websites just for guests with special dietary needs.
"I'm a big fan of contacting places ahead of time," Bahn said.
Potential allergens are called out under the ingredient list of a bag of hot dog buns in New York, in this file photo from Dec. 21, 2022.
2. Don't go hungryBahn recommends eating a hearty meal before heading to the park.
"So you already have something nice and warm in your stomach, hoping that you'll be able to find something (else) when you're there," she said.
She also recommends having plans for a meal after leaving the park, so at least those two meals are covered.
3. Pack snacksNot all parks allow outside food, but when permitted, Bahn recommends packing snacks for backup.
"Don't make assumptions that you definitely can't eat. I think there's always the ability to try to do as much research ahead of time and then see how it goes once you get there, but having a plan in place is always really helpful," she said.
What not to do: What people with disabilities and their families wish fellow travelers would know
4. Always carry medication or epinephrineBahn says she's carried an epinephrine auto-injector with her for as long as she can remember.
"Don't lock it up in a locker where you can't quickly access it in case of an emergency," she said. "It should be on you at all times."
5. Ask questionsSpecial diets-trained cast members can work with Disney guests to figure out if menu items can be modified to accommodate food allergies. This is the raclette from the Alps marketplace during EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival.
"Ask if they have ingredients that you can see," Bahn said.
Some park restaurants have binders of ingredients guests can look at, but it's best to confirm everything is up to date with chefs, who are happy to speak with guests with food allergies.
Sometimes, when creating menus, chefs will intentionally avoid using common allergens like peanuts to make foods more accessible. Chefs can also sometimes adjust dishes for allergies.
"Our festival chefs will go through (the menu) and make sure, based off of the dietary needs, if a dish is safe, if there's anything (the guest) can have from those kiosks, or if there's a way we can make that dish for them safe," said Kevin Downing, executive chef of EPCOT Festivals at Walt Disney World.
Cedar Fair's Walker echoed, "If you have a very, very specific allergy, we'll do whatever we can to accommodate."
6. Advocate for yourself"Explain your food allergies. Advocate for yourself," Bahn said.
She recommends carrying a Chef Card that can be given to chefs, stating each allergy, its severity, and the need for clean utensils and surfaces to be used in food preparation to avoid possible cross-contamination.
"It makes everybody's life, I think, a lot easier and really gets the point across that this is a severe food allergy and not just dietary preference," she said.
When an allergy-related order comes into Connections Eatery kitchen at EPCOT, Chef Scott Tosh said. "It prints up special, so the special diets-trained cast member will prepare that food. We put an allergy pick in it. If there's two items – one's allergy, one's not – we serve them with separate trays."
Bahn said Disney parks have always been great with her needs, even when she was a kid and people were generally less aware of food allergies.
7. Trust your gutBahn recommends double-checking all food before digging in.
"I think I have been able to sort of save myself from some potential reactions because of advocating and double checking, trusting my gut," Bahn said of no place in particular. "There's plenty of times where I've decided not to eat, even if I've ordered something because I just felt like I didn't get all my questions answered in a way that I felt was safe. And that's OK too. Being able to politely and kindly decide not to eat and walk away and make a different plan is OK, as well. It's your safety. It's your health."
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Food allergies don't have to hold you back at theme parks

Comments
Post a Comment